Monday, September 23, 2013

History of the chair

Being 9 months pregnant I just can't seem to get comfortable when I sit.  It doesn't matter what type of chair I'm sitting in.  It's either to hard, the back is to straight, or if it's to tall and my feet dangle it makes them fall asleep and my restless legs worse.   I feel like Goldilocks sometimes.

However looking back at the history of the chair, I think I probably have it better than pregnant women from thousands of years ago.   Although they used pads and cushions even back then, I'm sure with all sorts of technology like memory foam they might be more comfortable nowadays.



Infographic Credit

Wheely chairs are fun no matter how old you are.  Seriously no matter how old you are you sit down and win and naturally spin.   It's interesting to learn that wheels were put on so Darwin could be more efficient at work.  That quote "Necessitiy is the mother of all invention" seems appropriate here.

To learn more about the history of chairs and other seating click here or if you prefer a more in depth learning experience you can order this book from amazon (The Chair: Rethinking Culture, Body, and Design)


No comments:

Post a Comment