Monday, March 18, 2013

Old Wives Tales

Here is the link to where I found this list.  Obviously given my history a healthy baby is all I want.   Some of them were so ridiculous I just deleted them from the list. 
Old Wives Tale #1:  Heartburn
If a pregnant woman experiences heartburn throughout the 9 months of pregnancy, she’ll have a baby born with a full head of hair.  
(I haven't noticed any yet)
Old Wives Tale #4:  Heart Rate
If the baby’s heart rate is above 140 bpm, it is said that the baby will be a girl.  If it is under 140 bpm, then it will be a boy.  
(At my 12 weeks appointment it was 162, so girl)
Old Wives Tale #13:  Ring Test
Using a string, hang your wedding ring over your pregnant belly.  You are having a girl if the ring swings back and forth  and it’s a boy if it swings in a circle.   
(I think it did both when I tried)
Old Wives Tale #16:  Mayan Tale
The Mayan tale adds the mothers age at conception and the year of conception.  If the result is a even number then mom is having a girl.  If the result is an odd number then a boy is on the way!  
(This would give me a girl)
Old Wives Tale #19:  Cravings
People believe that if you are craving salty foods while pregnant, you can count on having a boy.  If you crave sweets, fruit, and orange juice, you are having a little girl.  
(Fruit has been my friend, so signs point to a girl)
Old Wives Tale #25:  History of Parent’s Kids
You can find out the sex by going off of your parent’s kids and the order.  If you are the first born, you will have what your mother had but starting with her second child.  If you are the middle child, you will have what she said, but starting with the third child.  If you are the last child, you will have what your mother had in the exact order.  I think this tale only works when the parent’s had three kids.  
(Lucky for me my mom had three kids (boy, girl, girl).  I am the middle so I should be having a girl.   It's been true for my sister though.  She was the last born and is having a boy in April. Actually my brother who is the oldest has a daughter which would make it true in that case as well). 
Old Wives Tale #26:  Time of Conception
The person that is most aggressive in bed at the time of conception is the opposite of what the baby will be.  
(I was probably more aggressive, but only because I knew I was really close to ovulation.  So a boy?)
Old Wives Tale #30:  Chinese Gender Chart
The Chinese Gender Chart claims to have an accuracy rate of over 90%.  It is based on how old the mother is at conception and the month that she conceived.  
(This says girl)
eam of Sex of Baby
If you have dreams that you are having a boy, you will have a girl.  If you dream about having a girl, it will be a boy.  Dreams show the opposite of what you are having.  
(I've only had one dream about each, so it's a toss-up)
Old Wives Tale #35:  Side You Most Rest On
If a pregnant woman prefers to lay on her left side, she’s having a boy.  If she prefers resting on her right side, she’s having a girl.
(I'm more comfortable on my right side, but I've always been that way)
Old Wives Tale #40:  What Do You Think?
71% of the time, the mom-to-be knows what she is having.  
(I don't really an feelings, but I suppose I lean slightly more toward a girl.)
Old Wives Tale #41:  Morning Sickness
If you had a smooth pregnancy with no morning sickness, it’s a boy.  If you were sick or felt really nauseous during your pregnancy, count on a girl. 
 (I have only thrown up once, but I’ve been nauseous more often than not. )
Old Wives Tale #44:  Feet
Are your feet colder now that you are pregnant?  If so, you just might be having a boy.  If your feet have stayed the same before pregnancy and during, you’re having a little girl.  
(I've always felt like my feet were colder than normal.  I haven't noticed any difference though.  I guess girl)
Old Wives Tale #46:  Hands are Dry
If your hands are constantly dry, it’s a boy.    
(Yes they are dry; however it is winter here and this happens every year)
  Old Wives Tale #49:  Headaches
If you are having headaches, you might be carrying a boy.  
(I suppose I have had more than normal, boy?)

The girl count is slightly higher than for a boy, but some of these are pretty silly.  I'll know in a few months accuracy of it.  I don't put much stock in it though, and am happy with a son or a daughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment