Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Knowing Your Baby~Sleep


Not all babies are created equal.

For some reason mine is a pretty good nighttime sleeper but the days are filled with catnaps.  She takes 4-5 30 (ish) minute naps.  Unless she's in the car, and then she'll usually sleep longer.

I've tried it all.  I've put her down earlier, put her down later, let her fuss for a few minutes at the start of nap and I've gotten her when she starts to make noise. I've let her stay where she was after she woke up until she started to cry to see if she'd fall back asleep.  She doesn't.

I've swaddled her and put her down un-swaddled, played lullabies, white noise and left it quiet.  She's been in the crib, the bouncer and the rock n play.  She's slept in different rooms at different times of the day.  She's nursed to sleep and slept in my arms.

No matter what I do she's not sleeping longer.  She is predictable at least 99% of the time.

I've talked to people, asked questions and gotten advice, some solicited and some not so much (but still appreciated)

Ultimately though I think I just need to realize that's how my baby is.  She's not fussy when she wakes up and so I just need to roll with it.

I'll keep trying to get her to sleep longer stretches during the day, but I'm no longer going to stress out about it.

I can sleep when she's a teenager right?



With that said, I'd still welcome suggestions from been there done that parents

(Also she's been napping 45 minutes, but is waking now, while I write this.)




2 comments:

  1. I found you on IG and I think I'm blog stalking you! haha :) My girl is almost 6 months, so close in age to yours. She doesn't sleep well either. She was sleeping 5 hour stretches at night and then up every 2 or 3 to nurse. We moved across the country and now its all gone down hill!! She takes shorter naps too. I've tried different things...glad we aren't the only ones. And yes, it is kind of frustrating because you can't count on having a specific time to accomplish things during the day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's kind of fun to follow bloggers on ig because then I feel like I get to 'know' them better since they post more real life things sometimes (does that make sense? and that makes me sound like I'm a stalker too?)
      I'm actually working on a sleep update. But really it's going to say the same thing. Day time sleep is still poor.
      It's always so sad when I hear about babies taking 2-3 hour naps. I assume something is wrong if she sleeps more than 30 minutes. :)

      Delete