Friday, October 24, 2014

Fall Comfort Food: Vegetable Soup

With fall time in Michigan comes cooler temperatures.  Much cooler.  So that means that warm filling foods are a must.





One of my favorite things to make is a vegetable soup. It's filling and it's cheap (and that is the best part) I make it little thicker than a soup although you can tweak it easily to make it more of a soupier consistency.

Ingredients
  • A bag of frozen mixed vegetables                                                                       $1
  • A jar of spaghetti sauce                                                                                       $1
  • A box of noodles (usually I use radiatore, but I used cavatappi this time)         $1
  • Can of diced tomatoes                                                                                         $. 75
And that's it.

I cook the noodles until they are done, then mix everything into a crockpot and let it cook on high for a few hours.  

I use spaghetti sauce since it's the same thing as tomato soup (although I do occasionally add a can of that as well), and I only use half of the box of noodles.

I also will add other veggies if I have them on hand (such as onion or pepper).  Basically you can use up what you have in the house. 

I make this meal every few weeks, and if there are leftovers freeze them in individual portions for me to have for lunch.


Toddler Approved!





No comments:

Post a Comment