Thursday, March 20, 2014

Introducing Solids~Non Foodie Parents

I feel like this post has no real flow and kind of jumps all over, so I apologize if it's hard to follow.  Also this picture of her has nothing to do with the post, but every post should have a cute Eleanor picture.  Right?



I want to wait until 6 months before giving her solids.  She doesn't need them since obviously she is growing just fine, however she is so into anything we are eating or drinking.

When we were out to eat recently for my brother's birthday, Rob ordered a steak, and put the juice on his finger and she was licking it off.  I wasn't thrilled that he was doing that but she was liking it.

He also has let her lick the Doritos seasoning off his fingers.  I'm just letting it go (and inwardly cringing at the sodium she's ingesting).  Parents of the year right here!

I have given her a spoon to play with and I have put breast milk on the spoon and she did okay.  She still made a little mess, but it was a new experience.

I want to do more of baby led weaning rather than purees.  I like the idea of it and I think it will be an easier transition, although we will most likely initially start with purees.

But the biggest problem or issue I have with her starting solids is the fact that Rob and I are not adventurous eaters.  He will once or twice a year have fish/seafood/shellfish/wild game and I will not at all.  

We eat ground beef and chicken mostly.  Carrots, green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, corn and peppers are the veggies we eat the most of.  Pineapple, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, & raspberries are favorites.  We eat some other fruits as well.

I cook a lot of processed food because I don't have the time or usually the desire to do anything else, although I'm trying to do it less.

I just feel overwhelmed at times because I want Eleanor to eat different things, but if I don't eat them or make them how is that even going to work.

And because there are so many studies that say conflicting things:  Introduce solids at this time to avoid allergies, wait because they don't need it, etc....   I feel overwhelmed about it too.

Since the 6 month mark is soon (and I really don't want to think about it) we will probably hold off until then.  She has her 6 month appointment the day after she turns 6 months so maybe after that appointment we will start her.


How did you decided to introduce solids?  What did you start with?  When did you start?

Help me out!




1 comment:

  1. Don't stress to much about this stage. Just feed food. I used this website for ideas for purees and other foods. http://onceamonthmeals.com/menus/baby-food/

    I also subscribed to a service called Baby Food 101 and they sent weekly emails with new foods to introduce plus gave recipe ideas for parent's to try.

    ReplyDelete