Monday, November 11, 2013

Five Weeks Old

With every update I write I just can't believe that she's another week older.  I feel like it was the same way with the pregnancy.  Every week that I wrote another update was another week that flew.


We've been working on tummy time.  She's not a huge fan, but she does okay for a few minutes.

She's decided that she no longer likes her arms swaddled in her sleep sack.  She doesn't sleep as well (thank you startle reflex), but she is happier.

She also been spitting up more lately.  She doesn't burp despite all my best efforts, and winds up fussier and then spits up.  She may or may not have spit up down my shirt right between my boobs this week.  That was fun. Or not.  That might not have been so fun since Rob wasn't home and she was fussy and wouldn't let me shower.

She's not a good day time sleeper.  She will take little 10-20 minute naps here and there but that it's.  So I'm learning that sometimes if she wakes up to give her a minute before I get her.  I usually get her as soon as she whimpers or makes noise, but I gave her a minute a few times and while she fussed she fell back asleep.  I'm not letting her cry it out; she's way to young for that; If she was really crying or screaming I'd obviously get her.  This is more just little fussing noises.

She also falls asleep to music, from 90's pop music to Christmas music.

I'm trying to get her used to the crib because I worry that transitioning her will be tough, but other than a few minutes a day when I do laundry or wash my hands after changing her she isn't in it.  She fell asleep in the rock n play yesterday and I tried to put her in the crib, but she woke up and then cried.

She's outgrown her newborn size pants (she's getting to long for them) and most of her newborn onesies are getting snug.  I went through her clothes and I realize she has a lot, but she doesn't have very many outfits that actually coordinate and match.  So she's probably going to be in some crazy outfits.

Rob gave her a 5 oz bottle on Friday. And she drank the whole thing.  This was after a 2 oz bottle and nursing for most of the few hours before.  I thought there was no way she would.  That's a lot for a little baby. As a result she slept almost 10 hours. Which would be great except that I couldn't get her to nurse more than 10-15 minutes that whole time so my boobs were so full and pumping didn't help.  I spent most of Saturday trying to help the situation.  When I told Rob no more 5 oz bottles for a while he got almost offended because he was just trying to help.  I wasn't mad; I didn't know she would drink it, and then sleep so long either.

When I started pumping I was getting that much out, and froze it in 5 oz increments, but since it's harder to get much out (which is normal apparently), I usually freeze in 2 oz portions so it doesn't get wasted.  I had to dump a few ounces the other day and I was sad.  That took me 30 minutes to an hour to get.  Breast milk really is liquid gold.

Also she is getting really good about focusing on something.  She watched the fan for several minutes yesterday.

One of her favorite books to look at and read.  I love this book too!

Milk Coma


Still in sweatpants/yoga pants and maternity bottoms.  I'm mostly okay with that.  I have my follow up appointment next week and I might start doing some more light exercising after that.

I wasn't happy about Rob going away for 3 nights/4 days to hunt this weekend but I accepted it.  He got permission to hunt property right by where he sometimes hunts, and he's going to do that Friday evening since he sees deer there at that time.  That means he won't go up north until Friday night/Saturday if he does go.  That makes me feel a lot better.

I went to the grocery store this last week and while I'd been away from her for a few times (max 30 minutes) I was gone for an hour and a half, which was the longest ever. It was nice, but at the same time I just couldn't wait to get back to her.

This is kind of a weird thing and I'm not sure there is a connection, but whenever I nurse her (or more often than not) my armpits itch.

I started using the nipple shield again.  I hadn't used it for almost a week but I had to because the pain was getting really bad again.

And speaking of pain, my stomach has been hurting me a lot this week.  It's not painful really, just more discomfort.  Sometimes it's a dull throbbing feeling. I haven't used pain meds though.

I'm still a hormonal mess sometimes.  I was nursing Eleanor this morning and watching Good Morning America and there was a marriage proposal and I got all emotional thinking about Eleanor getting married someday.  Yeah. I'm pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment